Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  November 3, 2011 8:00pm-9:00pm EDT

8:00 pm
that's the question, isn't it? erin? >> thanks so much to becky reporting where bill gates was. tomorrow we're excited. kathy lynn austin will be our guest. angelina jolie will play her in a movie. why? she spent 20 years catching the arms dealer. come back. see you then. anderson cooper starts now. erin, thanks. good evening, everyone. tonight keeping them honest. we go looking for the texas judge whose brutal beating of his disabled daughter shocked millions. the shock turning quickly to outrage because not only is william adams a judge but a family judge. we'll have both sides of a very ugly story. you can decide for yourself. so many people are asking, a lot of people ask what may judge adams make about what you're
8:01 pm
seeing coming before his courtment it's very difficult to watch let alone stomach. >> bend over the bed. >> dad. >> bend over that bed. bend over the bed. >> well -- >> bend over the bed. >> stop. stop. stop! >> bend over the bed! i'm going to keep spanking you in your [ bleep ] face. roll over. [ bleep ]. >> stop! >> we showed you just 24 seconds. the full video lasts 7:30. judge adams with his wife at the time beating their daughter. hillary. when he found out she was downloading music and games from the internet. he accused her of stealing. cursing swinging the belt, repeatedly. hillary who lives with cerebral palsy was 16 recording that video in 2004 with the hidden camera after what she calls her father's abuse and harassment escalated. she said she waited seven years
8:02 pm
fearing what might happen to her, her mother and young sister. judge adams on a two-week suspension seems to have no regrets. >> in my mind i didn't do anything wrong than disciplining my child and i did lose my temper but i have since apologized. there's a story. >> you do acknowledge that's you in the video? >> yeah, absolutely. it's me. >> it is. in a moment we'll be joined by hillary adams and her mother hailly now divorced from the judge. but first gary tuchman. gary? >> reporter: well, anderson, this is the courthouse where judge william adams works. he's not been here all day. this is percolating but he has come out with his story. and we should tell you that the story that he's come out in the form of a written statement from his attorney does not apologize whatsoever for whipping his child like a jockey would whip a race horse. instead, he criticized his
8:03 pm
daughter. this is the statement in part. just require to the youtube upload, a concerned father shared with his 23-year-old daughter that he was unwilling to continue to work hard and be a financial support if she was going to simply drop out and work part time at a video game store. hillary warned her father if he reduced the financial support he would live to regret it. the post was then uploaded and perhaps hillary adams should explain why she insisted on living with her father until she moved out on her own. you may be wondering when will this man adams be criminally charged. it is mostly likely he never will be because police say they have very strong evidence with this video of a crime called injury to a child which is a felony many years in jail but there's a five-year statute of limitations on the crime. it happened seven years ago and doesn't look like the judge
8:04 pm
could be criminally charged. now, we spent sometime by his house today, ten minutes from the courthouse. he was at home. the neighbors in the area said he seems like a nice guy and didn't know him very well. inside the courthouse, the courtroom is empty. the name plate still sits on the stand. it will be empty until a visiting judge comes here for two weeks to take his place. we talked to two people that know him well inside the courthouse. the county attorney who argues cases before the judge and the county administer known as the county judge and here's what they had to say about the shocking situation. >> by and large what recommendations this office made he would accept. the -- was he stern in the courtroom? could he become upset if things weren't done appropriately or he felt like lawyers were not properly prepared? sure. >> in my observation, he was very fair and very honest judge.
8:05 pm
you can hear rumors about any judge but judges don't make people happy most of the time. and you hear of him berating people in the courtroom but i never witnessed that. >> when you talk about hearing him berating people, what had you heard from people? >> just that. that he has an anger management problem, i guess. >> reporter: it should be noted that we could find no one inside this courthouse who wants to see judge adams come back to the bench. anderson? >> nobody who wants to see him come back to the bench, you said? >> reporter: no. that's an understatement. nobody in that building -- they're being careful saying we don't want him back and also not saying they do want him back and that should be noted. >> interesting. gary, appreciate it. hillary adams and her mom i spoke to them just before air time. this tape, i mean, extraordinarily difficult to
8:06 pm
watch. is it -- did this kind of thing happen a lot to you? >> well, a lot of people are asking that and, well, the corporal punishment was just corporal punishment when i was younger and then escalated and got worse and worse in time until when i was a teenager it started to turn in to full-blown abuse similar to what you see in the video and it got so bad and i recognized the pattern of it about to erupt that i knew to set up the camera and i knew that i just needed to capture this because it was getting so bad. >> so you actually -- the night that happened, you actually set up the camera in advance because you could sense things were escala escalating? >> yes, sir. i didn't know why yet. i just needed this -- i just knew that this was something i needed to hold on to. i needed to show people one day. i didn't know why. but -- so i set the camera up and sat there for half an hour
8:07 pm
recording a blank room because the discussion was taking place elsewhere in the house and but then when it came in to the room and my father switched off the lights and nobody could see in through the window, and then it erupted in to what you see on the tape. >> it looks in the tape as if in this incident you were trying to sort of participate to kind of stop it and like get her to lay down, hit her once and then with the idea to stop it. and then he basically gets another belt and comes back and continues on. >> that's right. i was -- like i said, he would force me to do things so when i'm out of the room, he's talking to me saying things, telling me to go do things and i was just very, you know, pressured. i act very zombie-like. my voice is very cold. >> what is it like for you to see this tape now? >> it was very upsetting to me. i thought he was a monster. i thought that i was a witch.
8:08 pm
>> did you have bruises after that? >> oh, yes. the bruises were the worst i'd ever had. i had had other lashings like that but this one produced the worst bruising up. up and down my arms and legs. >> he said it's not as bad as it is in the tape. >> i think he's? serious denial because i told him it hurt to walk the next day and his response was, one word, he said, good. >> it was much more. you heard gary tuchman reporting. when we continue, hillary's reaction to her father's statement after hearing it for the first time. let me know what you think. a lot of folks on twitter talking about this. i'll be tweeting tonight. more headaches for herman cain. a new report detailing how seriously the organization he ran took one of the alleged sexual harassment incidents and
8:09 pm
more mixed messages of cain and top adviser of who leaked the story. later, the michael jackson death trial. now up to the jury. we'll look at a powerful day of closing arguments. first, let's check in with isha sesay. >> incredible video. only thing this is the real thing. we'll see why a speeding automobile crashed in to the wing of an airplane knocking it right off the runway. the goal was to keep that plane from taking off and why the focus on this plane? the answer and much more when "360" continues. so you're seriously proposing we change our name to sun life valley. do we still get to go skiing? sooner or later, you'll know our name. sun life financial.
8:10 pm
and here's what we did today: supported nearly 3 million steady jobs across our country... ... scientists, technicians, engineers, machinists... ... adding nearly 400 billion dollars to our economy... we're at work providing power to almost a quarter of our homes and businesses... ... and giving us cleaner rides to work and school... and tomorrow, we could do even more. cleaner, domestic, abundant and creating jobs now. we're america's natural gas. the smarter power, today. learn more at anga.us. ...was it something big? ...or something small? ...something old? ...or something new? ...or maybe, just maybe... it's something you haven't seen yet. the 2nd generation of intel core processors. stunning visuals, intelligent performance. this is visibly smart.
8:11 pm
impact wool exports from new zealand, textile production in spain, and the use of medical technology in the u.s.? at t. rowe price, we understand the connections of a complex, global economy. it's just one reason over 75% of our mutual funds beat their 10-year lipper average. t. rowe price. invest with confidence. request a prospectus or summary prospectus with investment information, risks, fees and expenses to read and consider carefully before investing.
8:12 pm
colace® capsules stool softener helps ease straining to make going easier. try colace® capsules for effective, comfortable relief from occasional constipation. now you can save big on colace® capsules! go to colacecapsules.com. video of a texas father, a judge, beating his daughter has gone viral and the man is a family court judge. so, could his career be in jeopardy? your legal experts weigh in on that and other questions in a moment. but first the second part of the interview with hillary adams and her mom hallie. so you held on to this tape for seven years. >> yes, sir. >> why -- why release it now? >> i decided to release the tape now after these seven years because it just -- i finally snapped. it wasn't any carefully-planned orchestration or anything like
8:13 pm
that. and i didn't really mean for anything huge to come of it. i just wanted to put it throughout for my dad to see it and maybe a few other people. to maybe help us reconcile and see that this was wrong. >> you thought this would help you reconcile? >> yes. i wanted to show my father, hey, i think you're in some denial about the way that you're treating me and my mother. and maybe showing him this would make him see something that he didn't before. >> your dad put out a statement. i don't know if you've seen this but i want to read you part of what it says. just prior to the youtube upload a concerned father shared with his 23-year-old daughter that he was unwilling to continue to work hard and be her primary source of financial support if she was going to simply drop out and strive to achieve no more in life than to work part time at a video game store. hillary warned her father if he reduced her financial support and took away her mercedes he
8:14 pm
would live to regret it. is that accurate? >> i think that's a perfect example of the way he would twist stories to the community to make him come out as the good guy. it is stunning his behavior continues in the exact same pattern and even as we have this cold, hard proof in front of him of how bad he really was, he still continues. and i won't say that he wasn't supporting me but he's definitely not my primary financial support. i live with my long-term boyfriend who's within wonderful to me and he has supported me through so many things. he's been with me through this whole ordeal and will continue to support me, i know. i have been working to support myself also and i do admit i have been spinning my wheels far little while. i'm working retail which is probably -- i can do better than that but at the same time it has
8:15 pm
allowed me to live away from my father and this toxic situation and i've done a lot of personal healing in that time. and -- >> so this, you're saying this wasn't vengeance for him stopping financial support or taking away a car? >> well, it was -- i wouldn't describe it as vengeance. it was really -- i wanted to make him see what he was doing. really. i didn't really have in my mind any idea of revenge or anything like that. that's not what i wanted. i wanted to make this a positive thing after he could -- after he saw the video. i wanted it to turn out to be a positive thing and the fact that he brings up this -- you know, providing my car and phone for me, he did do that but i feel that it wasn't out of love. it was out of look at these things i have given my daughter.
8:16 pm
do you see how much of a wonderful father that i am and he consistently proves that viewpoint with how often he brings it up. he specifically mentions the model of the car. i admit it's pretty nice but he would hold it over my head as a reason for me to never, ever get away from him and it was infuriating, the amount of control he had over me because of this. >> i want to give you an opportunity to respond to something else he has just in the last couple of hours put out a statement saying it is regrettable that hillary adams a bright and gifted person would include in her post that she is or was a disabled or special needs child. as multiple media appearances demonstrate, she is articulate, possesses a superior iq and is capable of functioning as a productive adult. no one should take the afiction of cerebral palsy lightly. her medical needs were met however never should an adult try to use an affliction as a
8:17 pm
device for media sympathy. it should be apparent to the world is disabled was mislabeled. >> wow. that's incredible. did you know that he's always denied that i even had a problem? this is the first time he's ever written that i had something. >> do you want to have a relationship with him again at some point? >> of course i do, yeah. i still -- i still love and care for my father because it is a fact that he did provide a lot of things for me and he did make sure i had a very stable and fulfilled life when i grew up. he did make sure i had a bunch of opportunities. and -- but what he didn't make sure i had was a father that did those things out of love rather than a wish to have his child reflect back on him. that's pretty much what he wanted me to be was a mirror. he wanted me to be a mirror so he could throw good things at it and they would reflect right back on to him. >> i hope something good comes
8:18 pm
out of this for everybody involved and i wish you well. thank you. >> thank you. >> let's talk about some of the potential legal issues in the case. sunny hostin is a legal contributor on trutv and a former federal prosecutor and cnn legal analyst jeffly toobin with us, as well. nothing can be done legally against this judge, correct? >> i think that's right. i mean, clearly, when you look at the tape, this is child abuse. pure and simple. he is abusive not only physically but verbally and emotionally, as well. you get five or ten years in texas and i think that time period has run. >> he's an elected judge so i guess if the people in his community feel this is egregious they can not re-elect him. >> there's a committee which has now initiated an investigation. if they find reason they can then recommend to the texas supreme court that he be removed
8:19 pm
right away. so, there doesn't have to be an election. they can get rid of him right away and those wheels are turning as well they should be. >> he was saying his daughter was being disobedient and disciplining her. is there any i 0 that in your mind that this is abuse? >> no, not really. not at all. in texas, yes, you can reasonably discipline a child. what we saw is more than spanking, anderson. he has a belt. he beats her for several minutes. this is just beyond the pale when it comes to reasonable discipline of a person under the age of 18. no question in my mind that this is child abuse and i used to try child abuse cases and i often said to people what you can't do to an adult you can't do to a child. can you do this to an adult? can you take a belt and beat the person for several minutes? of course not. that would be assault. this is child abuse, very simple. >> there is a custody case involving a minor child still that the judge is trying to
8:20 pm
regain custody from his wife. could this affect that? >> well, sure. absolutely. this is relevance to his fitness to be a parent. but, you know, all that other stuff about his motive and her motive, you know, i don't mean to trivialize either story but it is like the herman cain people saying that, you know, this was leaked for this or that reason. the issue is did he commit child abuse? period. now, what their motives are, releasing it now, i don't know. i'm sure it's a much more complicated story than we can n uncover in this brief period but if that's him on the video -- >> which he says it is. >> and doing what it appears he is doing, end of story. he should not be a judge. >> really? >> look. i'm usually an advocate of saying wait until the facts are in. but, you know, tomorrow he could be hearing cases on child abuse. that's not right. the texas judicial -- the
8:21 pm
committee seems to be doing the right thing. he's not -- he's not hearing cases now. unless some facts come out that's completely -- >> could somebody look at this who's faced him as a defendant and use this to try to get something overturned? >> that i doubt. you can always try. but i don't -- i would find that a -- >> you don't think he should be on the bench? >> we don't disagree here. he certainly needs to be removed from the bench, no question. >> interesting. >> he's lucky this time passed and the statute lapsed. >> right. >> thanks so much. up next, new developments in the herman cain sexual harassment allegation story, including a report on whether restaurant association knew about the most serious allegations. also ahead, "crime and punishment." closing argue. s in the trial of michael jackson's doctor. the jury gets the case tomorrow, a case that prosecutors say will never end for jackson's three children. [ man ] i got this citi thank you card
8:22 pm
and started earning loads of points. you got a weather balloon with points? yes, i did. [ man ] points i could use for just about anything. ♪ keep on going in this direction. take this bridge over here. there it is. [ man ] so i used mine to get a whole new perspective. ♪ [ male announcer ] write your story with the citi thankyou premier card, with no point caps, and points that don't expire. get started at thankyoucard.citi.com. with no point caps, and points that don't expire. [ stu ] yeah. it's electric. i don't think so. it's got a gas tank right here. electric tank, right over here. an electric tank? really, stu? is that what you pour the electricity in? it's actually both, guys. i can plug in and go 35 miles gas free, or i can fill up and go a whole lot farther. is that my burger? oh. i just got bun. i didn't even bite any burger.
8:23 pm
you know what else is early? medicare open enrollment. now through december 7th. can i stick with my old medicare plan? sure! or find a new plan with better coverage, less cost, or both. medicare plans give you free cancer screenings and wellness visits and 50% off on brand-name prescriptions when you're in the doughnut hole. it's part of the healthcare law. so it's time to look, compare... and choose the right plan for you. learn more at 1-800-medicare or medicare.gov.
8:24 pm
8:25 pm
more new developments in the herman cain sexual harassment allegation story. a back flip with a twist in the campaign's blame game over who leaked the story. first, new details about the most serious allegation of unwanted sexual advance by cain at a national restaurant event back when he was ceo. politico has a new reporting attributed to what it says is multiple sources independently familiar with the incident. their leak, quote, there were urgent discussions of the woman's okay saigs at top levels of the national restaurant association within hours. mr. cain denies anything inappropriate happened and denied even remembering a settlement was reached with the
8:26 pm
woman concerned one of two the association settled with. one got $35,000 according to "the new york times." a year's salary. politico reports the other got $45,000. the lawyer for one says she's reluctant to go public. herman cain spent four days responding in a variety of ways. for who ease behind the story, he's gone from blaming liberals or other republicans to the perry campaign to unblaming to blaming the campaign again this afternoon on sean handty's radio show. >> let's just say there aren't enough bread crumbs that we can lay down and connect that leads us anywhere else at this particular point in time. >> late today, again, pointing fingers at the perry campaign. here's his chief of staff letting perry adviser kurt anderson whom they spent yesterday blaming off the hook. >> all the evidence that we had
8:27 pm
and what's transpired in the last two weeks led up to mr. anderson as being the source. we were absolutely thrilled that he came on your show and said that it wasn't because mr. cain had the utmost respect for him. >> so he's saying he had ample evidence and never mind. evidence that he never produced. in the end, may not matter to primary voters. mr. kan is high in the polls and the campaign said they raised $1.2 million since the story broke. more on the raw politics now with chief national correspondent john king who sat down with rick perry for an exclusive interview. perry responded to the allegations his campaign was involved in the whole thing and also tonight gloria borger and by phone contributor ari flishman, white house press secretary for former george w. bush. you can follow him on twitter. gloria, we are expecting to fine out tomorrow whether one of the women will be able to tell her story, right? >> we are. i got off the phone with joel
8:28 pm
bennett saying the national restaurant association, an attorney for the association, has in front of it a -- what he calls a one-page press release typed statement in the third person from the attorney on behalf of his client. he says it in effect responds to comments that herman cain has made and it is essentially a summary of what she did and why she did it without the specifics of the incident. now, the restaurant association can say go ahead and release this, they can say we don't like your statement. how about rewriting it? they can say, you know what? we're not going to release you from the confidentiality pledge so no go. and we'll know tomorrow. >> john, you talked to rick perry in iowa today. i want to play a little of what he had to say to you about this. >> i want to start with what's driving the news right now and saying that you and your campaign owe him an apology. >> yeah.
8:29 pm
>> do you? >> no apology needed. we found out about this the same time i suppose the rest of america found out about it. both on the internet or next day in the news so, you know, i don't know how to tell any other way except knew nothing about it, sir. >> you said nothing to do with it and if you found out somebody in your campaign did something like that, would you fire them? >> out the door. >> out the door. john, what happens now? >> well, the perry campaign insists they had nothing to do with it but you have the mud slinginging a gone nofr perry said the staff handled him. he said the staff assures him nobody had any role in it. mr. cain is not backing down. what happens now, two things. what happens tomorrow if the statement comes out, what new revelations come out. how long will he have to continue talking about this and continue to point the finger at governor perry? 61 nights from now the people of this state start the voting. what do you think of this?
8:30 pm
>> ari, you have a flattering name of the pundits. here's some of what you had to say today. do we have that? i guess not. well, ari, what do you make of this? >> anderson, my concern all along has been there's one simple overarching issue. did he sexually harass anybody? it's hard for him because he doesn't have the benefit of the accuser stepping forward but he's been unequivocal and the story never changed. so if he's lying, his goose is cooked and going to have to drop out of this race but if he's telling the truth and what i'm afraid of, anderson, what i call the washington scandal industry has kicked in and he's being held to a measurement that nobody can pass. of course, the story's going to change trying to remember things from a long time ago. he may remember some things, may not remember other things. i attribute that to human
8:31 pm
nature. the one thing that didn't change is he denied he harassed anybody. i think it's unfair to herman cain. >> gloria, to that point, i mean, it is a hard thing to fight against if the accuser isn't putting a face on it and coming out with any details. then it is just this unnamed accuser making un -- allegations of no details. >> well, at risk of being part of the washington scandal industry, i would say that herman cain could say to the restaurant association, you know what? i think we need to get these documents out. we need to clear the air. that's a possibility. and also, i would add, that he's also been out there accusing other people. i interviewed a person from the perry campaign today. kurt anderson says, no, he didn't. i think you end up -- this is a person running for president of the united states and i think people who run for president are
8:32 pm
held to a very different standard or a high standard i should say and rightly so. and i think the issue does need to be resolved. one way or the other. either the women need to come out or the documents need to be released but i think now that the story has risen it needs to get resolved. >> ari, are you saying it's unfair to -- that it's stale story because he's denied it and no one has come forward? >> i'm saying the issues of the people focused on are all the sideshows. >> i agree. >> this is memory -- memory of three or four months severance or one year's severance, 35,000 or how much was it? these are all side issues that don't determine whether someone's a good president or not. it determines whether or not they know how to do the washington dance and survive the washington scandal. the only disqualifying issue in my judgment is if he's lying about sexual harassment. that's the core matter. i think the rest of how does he
8:33 pm
handle a scandal is how he'll be a good president is part of the washington nonsense, getting people turned out by what washington does and conducts its business. >> john, how do you think this plays out with voters? the charges, the finger pointing, you know, the shifting explanations. >> i think we'll know better in a week or two in the sense i talked to mr. cain's iowa state chairman. he said not only not hurting them but they're having more people sign up in the last 24, 48, 72 hours than a week before so he says it's helping. i talked to a top political reporter here tonight saying at the moment she sees no damaging impact but i did talk to a conservative activist tonight who says that the moment mr. cain is doing fine but her point was this. if we're still talking about this tomorrow and next week, remember, republicans are picking a nominee. first votes cast 61 nights from now in iowa. if they believe there's a sideshow, if they believe there's baggage, if they believe mr. cain -- i disagree with ari
8:34 pm
a bit. being president as ari well knows is crisis management 24/7 so there are some clues here whether you like the allegations or not, life isn't fair. politics isn't fair. the presidency isn't fair. you have to deal with these things and how he deals with them and his staff assuming a lot of campaign staff goes on to a white house it does matter. >> and you know, when you talk about finger pointing, it's herman cain who's been pointing the finger at other people and, you know, kurt anderson today made a point which is that this is also diverseary because you are talking about who the bad person was who leaked the story. instead of talking about the story itself. so, he's pointing fingers. >> gloria, john, ari, thank you. we're following other stories tonight, as well. isha is back. the battle's intensifying
8:35 pm
with the white house and congress over the government's huge loan. a house panel voted to subpoena white house documents. the obama administration loaned the maker of solar panels more than a half billion dollars but they went out of business in august. meaning the loan is unlikely to be repaid. the remnants of greece says it won't be necessary to hold a referendum on the international bailout plan designed to rescue greece from the heavy debt load. that's if the opposition supports the tough austerity measures attached to the plan. the prime minister's initial call for public vote sent worldwide markets in to a nosedive earlier this week. but wall street's staged a rally for the second straight day. the dow gained more than 200 points. investors were pleased that the european central bank cut the interest raits and shrugged off the concerns of the greece debt crisis.
8:36 pm
incredible video checking out there. the brazilian police purposely crashed their vehicle in to the left wing of that small plane on the screen to prevent it from taking off. police said smuggled goods were on board. anderson, among the items confiscated, surveillance equipment and a bicycle. >> hmm. >> why. >> amazing video. >> definitely. >> all right. we'll check with you later. coming up, we'll show you the most dramatic moments today of the closing arguments in the michael jackson death trial plus a look back at the key testimony of five weeks that could decide dr. conrad murray's fate. disturbing reports out of syria suggesting the promise to end the crackdown barely lasted 24 hours. our camaro. [ man ] chevy silverado -- third one. [ male announcer ] people love their chevys. that's because for 100 years, chevy has offered the best value in america.
8:37 pm
come in now and help us celebrate our centennial open house, november 1st through the 7th. and fall in love with your next chevy. ♪ gives you a 50 percent annual bonus. so you earn 50 percent more cash. if you're not satisfied with 50% more cash, send it back! i'll be right here, waiting for it. who wouldn't want more cash? [ insects chirping ] i'll take it. i'll make it rain up in here.
8:38 pm
[ male announcer ] the new capital one cash rewards card. the card for people who want 50% more cash. what's in your wallet? sorry i'll clean this up. shouldn't have made it rain.
8:39 pm
8:40 pm
crime and punishment tonight. after five weeks of testimony, the jury in the michael jackson death trial heard closing arguments, the last chance for both sides to sway the 12 men and women who will decide dr. conrad murray's fate. here's lead prosecutor david walgren. >> michael jackson trusted conrad murray. he trusted him with his life. he paid with his life. and the evidence in this case is overwhelming. the evidence in this case is abundantly clear that conrad murray acted with criminal
8:41 pm
negligence. that conrad murray caused the death of michael jackson. that conrad murray left prince, paris and blanket without a father. >> after walgren was finished defense attorney edward chernoff took the floor and repeated his version of the facts. that michael jackson gave himself the fatal dose of propofol. >> the prosecution has to show that dr. murray actually killed michael jackson. dr. murray had no control over the situation because what was happening in the background -- he was just a little fish in a big dirty pond. they want you to convict dr. murray for the actions of michael jackson. they just don't want to tell you that. >> randi kaye was in the
8:42 pm
courtroom and joins us in a moment but first she looks back at the evidence the jury will have to weigh when they get the case today. >> reporter: tears, tales of addiction and half truths. just another day in the trial of dr. conrad murray. from day one, michael jackson's doctor cannot hold back his emotions. prosecutor david walgren shows little sympathy hammering home what he calls murray's incompetence in the scramble to save his star patient. day two, jackson's personal assistant tells the jury murray called saying something was wrong with jackson but never said he'd stopped breathing or to call 911. >> were you asked to call 911? >> no, sir. >> reporter: day three. jackson's former head of logistics testifies murray was hiding vials at jackson's home before paramedics arrived. >> i was standing at the foot of the bed. he reached over and grabbed handful of vials and then he reached out to me and said, here, put these in a bag.
8:43 pm
>> reporter: day four. this los angeles paramedic tells the court, murray never told him he'd given jackson the powerful anesthetic propofol, the drug that killed michael jackson. >> did conrad murray ever mention the word propofol to you during the time that you were at the location or in his presence? >> no, he did not. >> reporter: day six, an harem of women. all testify they were in touch with murray the day jackson died. sade anding was on the phone with murray when he noticed jackson wasn't breathing. >> i said hello, hello, i didn't hear anything. >> reporter: day seven. a disturbing iphone recording taken by murray is played in court of michael jackson sounding wasted and slurring his words. >> i love them. i love them because i didn't have a childhood. i had no childhood.
8:44 pm
i feel their pain. i feel their hurt. >> reporter: also on day seven, elissa fleak, an investigator for the coroner's office testifies she found 12 bottles of propofol though the defense jumped on her for what they call mistakes in the investigation. day nine, detective scott smith shares her two-hour recorded interview with dr. murray. >> i sat there and watch him for long enough period that i felt comfortable. then i needed to go to the bathroom. then i came back to his bedside and was stunned in the sense that he wasn't breathing. >> reporter: day 14, the prosecution's key expert dr. steven schaefer testifies the only scenario that fits is that murray hooked jackson up to a slow propofol iv drip and didn't notice he stopped breathing. day 18, the defense puts murray's former patients on the
8:45 pm
stand to praise murray. he listens in tears. day 20, the so-called father of propof propofol, dr. paul white testifies for the defense. he supports the theory that jackson gave himself the fatal dose unaware it would kill him. >> you think it was a self injection of propofol near the hour of -- between 11:30 and 12:00 that did it? >> in my opinion, yes. >> reporter: day 21, murray takes a hit when prosecutors press dr. white about murray's failure to tell paramedics he gave jackson propofol. >> it was obviously overlooked. he didn't tell them. >> well, not obviously. it could also be a lie. correct? correct? that's another option. >> if you say so, i guess, why. >> that's another option. correct? >> it's an option, yes. >> reporter: that same day on cross-examination, prosecutors get white to admit he believes murray drew up the syringe of
8:46 pm
propofol and left it in the bedroom accessible to jackson. >> randi, you watched the closing arguments. what struck you today? >> reporter: well, anderson, i mean, i think the prosecution played it really well. we have had about five weeks of testimony. a whole lot of detail. a whole lot of science but prosecutor david walgren came straight out of the gate going for the emotion. he reminded this seasons just about michael jackson. this is about his children, he reminded paris was curled up on the floor in a ball. blanket who's 9 years old, the youngest child, they all have to grow up without their father. he had such a strong closing argument, anderson, when he left the courtroom he was cheered. every day in the hallway outside that courtroom, all the michael jackson fans are lined up and usually pretty quiet. today they cheered, that he erupted and cheering great job, great job. the defense had some good moments, too. they reminded the your this is not a reality show, anderson. this is real life and you don't
8:47 pm
convict conrad murray because this is michael jackson. anderson? >> do you think that the jury will return a verdict quickly? >> reporter: i do. i mean, i'll be surprised if we don't have a verdict tomorrow. they really seemed to want this over with. in recent weeks they have been heard whispering they want to get this done. the trial is a week longer than it was supposed to have been so i'll be surprised if we don't have this over with tomorrow. >> appreciate it very much. new reports of deadly violence in syria. despite the government's promise to end the crackdown on its own people. what opposition groups say they witnessed today. in california, anti-wall street protesters are teargassed and arrested after demonstrators shut down the city's port last night. a surfer surprising encounter with a pair of humpback whales. next. that's a honus wagner autograph... the hall of famer? look at this ball!
8:48 pm
yeah, found that at a yard sale. i thought pickles would like it. [ dog barks ] that a new car jerry? yeah... sweet, man. [ male announcer ] the audi a8. named best large luxury sedan. ♪ [ male announcer ] the audi a8. named best large luxury sedan. when you're a sports photographer, things can get out of control pretty quickly. so i like control in the rest of my life... especially my finances. that's why i have slate, with blueprint. i can create my own plan to pay down large purchases faster... or avoid interest on everyday items. that saves me money. with slate from chase, i'm always in control. financially, anyway. get slate with blueprint and save money. call 855-get-slate today. i'm a dad, coach... and i quit smoking with chantix. knowing that i could smoke during the first week was really important to me. [ male announcer ] along with support, chantix is proven to help people quit smoking. chantix reduced my urge to smoke -- and personally that's what i knew i needed.
8:49 pm
[ male announcer ] some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. if you notice any of these, stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems, which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these, stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems, tell your doctor if you have new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack. use caution when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. these are the reasons i quit smoking. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you.
8:50 pm
at liberty mutual, we know how much you count on your car and how much the people in your life count on you. that's why we offer accident forgiveness, man: good job. where your price won't increase due to your first accident. we also offer a hassle-free lifetime repair guarantee, where the repairs made on your car are guaranteed for life or they're on us. these are just two of the valuable features you can expect from liberty mutual. plus, when you insure both your home and car with us, it could save you time and money. at liberty mutual, we help you move on with your life. so get the insurance responsible drivers
8:51 pm
like you deserve. looks really good. call us at... or visit your local liberty mutual office, where an agent can help you find the policy that's right for you. liberty mutual insurance. responsibility. what's your policy? just ahmed, a guy who believes life comes with a rewind button lands on the ridiculist. isha? >> reports of new violence in syria. just a day after the government pledged to end its crackdown. opposition groups say troops killed at least 20 civilians in 2 cities while rounding up anti-government protesters. cnn cannot independently confirm the reports. in california, the port of oakland has partially reopened. occupy oakland protesters shut it down last night. hours later, police used
8:52 pm
teargas. nearly every office building and store in downtown oakland is vandalized. protests blame the damage on a radical fringe of the movement. nasa predicting a close call for planet earth. next tuesday, an aircraft carrier sized asteroid is expected to come within about 200,000 miles of earth. an object that big hasn't come so close to our planet in more than 30 years. anderson, speaking of near misses, a youtube video called surfer almost swallowed by whale caught our eye. it's a california surfer floating on a board. whoa. off the santa cruz coast and there you see almost ending up as lunch when two humpback whales, yes, they popped out of the water today. >> that is incredible. >> that's why i say garden, don't surf. much safer. >> cool to be that close. >> then we know you're wired differently so, i mean.
8:53 pm
>> probably not the best judge of that. >> probably not. >> how did she have the video camera happened to be there when it was shooting? >> now you're asking questions i cannot answer. >> you what? you cannot answer? all right. >> i cannot answer that question. >> all right. maybe she saw something in the water. isha, good to have you back. >> thank you. now piers morgan. piers? >> thanks, anderson. much more tonight on herman cain. the accusations keep coming and so do the denials and see what it says about the race for the white house and indeed race in america. plus the trial of michael jackson's doctor conrad murray. the jury begins deliberating tomorrow and what they may be thinking and the king of comedy ben stiller with matthew broderick on the movie that's more madoff than made up. the cost of "tower heist." back to you. >> thanks. up next, "the ridiculist." we'll be right back. can use verizon technologyrlotte
8:54 pm
to inspire businesses to conserve energy and monitor costs. making communities greener... congratulations. ... and buildings as valuable to the bottom line... whoa ! ... as the people inside them. congratulations. because when you add verizon to your company, you don't just add, you multiply. ♪ discover something new... verizon. i wanted support for my heart... and now i get it from centrum specialist heart. new centrum specialist vision... helps keep my eyes healthy. centrum specialist energy... helps me keep up with them. centrum specialist prenatal... supports my child's growth and development. new centrum specialist is a complete multivitamin that gives me all the benefits of centrum. plus additional support... [ all ] for what's important to me. [ male announcer ] new centrum specialist helps make nutrition possible.
8:55 pm
but my nose is still runny. [ male announcer ] truth is, dayquil doesn't treat that. really? [ male announcer ] alka-seltzer plus fights your worst cold symptoms, plus it relieves your runny nose. [ deep breath] awesome. [ male announcer ] yes, it is. that's the cold truth!
8:56 pm
8:57 pm
time now for the "ridiculist" and adding wedding lawsuit guy. you see him in a photo of his wedding in 2003. a shot taken by h & h photographer. wedding lawsuit guy brought to attention of "the new york times" sued h & h photographerer because he claimed they botched the job they were hired to do. he claims their photographer missed the last dance and the bouquet toss.
8:58 pm
okay. stop right here. probably you're thinking, hey, he's got a legitimate gripe. it's a big day for a couple. you want the whole thing documented properly. i get that. now consider this mr. wedding lawsuit guy did not file the lawsuit until six years after the wedding just before this statute of limitations was to expire. so you might also want to consider by the time he had filed said lawsuit, he and his wife separated and perhaps you should also consider that mr. wedding lawsuit guy is asking to be paid the $4,100 he spent on the photography plus an additional $48,000, that's right, $48,000, so that, wait for it, he can fly the key players back in to recreate the wedding exactly as it was and have it reshot by another photographer. oh, did i mention he and his wife are divorced and she is believed to move back to her home country of latvia. while you're trying to absorb this, i'd like to address you,
8:59 pm
wedding lawsuit guy. forget about that lawsuit. i think we can help you. here's what your ex-wife's bouquet toss would have looked like. i'm sure she's much lovelier. boom. you have a momento. this is a map showing new york and, you know, latvia where you apparently want to fly her back from. by the way, this map is on the house. please take note of the fact that great britain is due east of long island. a little confusing. as for the co-founder of the photography business that wedding lawsuit guy is suing, according to "the times" he's an 87-year-old man that escaped nazi-occupied vienna and drafted in to the united states army learning to shoot pictures assisting camera men along the burma road supply line. let's recap. wedding lawsuit guy is suing a family-run company started by an 87-year-old who escaped the nazis andrn

62 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on